23 February, 2014
Yakhnit Batata w Rez
A very nutritious and comforting lebanese stew, perfect for winter.
- 1 lb of stew meat cut into 2 inch chunks (beef or lamb)
- 1 lb of potatoes cut in 2 inch squares
- 1 lb of crushed, fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 bunch of chopped cilantro (optional)
- salt, pepper, and a dash of cinnamon
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup of vegetable or olive oil
In a large pot, heat the oil and brown the meat for about 5 minutes then add the onions and fry for 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and cinnamon. Pour 6 cups of water on the meat, cover and bring to a boil on low heat for about 45 minutes. Potatoes can be fried for a better taste but you can add them raw if you wish to have a less calorific meal. So add the potatoes and crushed tomatoes to the stew. Let it simmer for about 20 more minutes.
Fry half of both, the cilantro and the garlic until fragrant and add them to the stew. Let simmer for 10 more minutes and finally add the other half at the end of the cooking. Serve hot on vermicelli rice.