3 February, 2016
KABIS KHYAR – LEBANESE PICKLED CUCUMBERS
This is a proved and studied way to make the most unbelievably crunchy and delicious lebanese pickles!
Ingredients (for 2 mason jars of 32 ounces)
- 2 quart jars with lids cleaned and disinfected (rinsed with boiling water)
- Lebanese cucumbers or usual pickling cucumbers, washed (as many as you can fit in the jars)
- 4 cloves of garlic segmented with a knife but kept whole
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 3 tbsp of kosher salt (pickling salt)
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 small red peppercorns, or 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes (optional)
Add as many cucumbers as you can to the jars starting by the biggest ones, inserting the garlic and the peppercorns half way. In a sauce pan add water, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Heat on high, stirring until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Let boil for a few seconds, turn off heat and let rest till cool. Once cooled, add the liquid to the jars till the spaces surrounding the cucumbers are filled, leaving 1/2 inch head space between the liquid and the lid. Before closing the lids, if you are not using mason jars, place a sandwich bag or a plastic sheet (cut from a Ziploc bag for example) between the jar and the lid. Place the jars in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 25 days before opening. You can also store them at room temperature but you must refrigerate them after opening.