15 May, 2013
Fasoolia Areeda Mtabbaleh
This vegan dish can be eaten hot or cold as a main dish or salad, preferably with pita bread. It is a good alternative to meat dishes because it’s full of proteins!
For 8 servings
- 1 pound (½ kilo) of dried giant lima beans soaked overnight
- ½ medium onion cut into 2 pieces
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (optional)
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- salt to taste
Put the beans in a large pan with water enough to cover them. Boil the beans with the onion cut in halves and a teaspoon of salt, on medium heat until they are tender, approximately 40-50 minutes (the secret is not to overcook, so the beans don’t break and keep their beautiful shape.) Let them cool, drain and throw away the onion.
In a bowl, emulsify the oil, lemon juice and vinegar. Add the chopped onions, garlic, parsley and salt. Put the beans in a salad bowl and season with this vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate. You can wait at least 1 day before serving because the beans will absorb all the flavors.