8 February, 2014
For the meatballs:
- -1kg of ground lean beef or veal
- -1 medium onion, grated
- -a few leaves of fresh finely minced parsley
- -1 tsp of ground allspice
- -1 dash of ground cinnamon
- -salt to taste
- -toasted pine nuts (optional)
For the sauce:
- -3 medium onions, sliced
- -2 garlic cloves
- -3 tbsp of olive oil
- -1 can (400g – 15oz) of crushed tomato or fresh tomatoes
- -1 tsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- -1 cup of water
Mix meat well with the grated onion, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Form 1 inch diameter meatballs.
Heat some oil in a skillet and fry the onions on medium heat until golden. Set aside.
In the same skillet, fry the meatballs until well cooked. Add the sliced onions, the crushed tomato, the pomegranate molasses and the water. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
Serve on a bed of vermicelli rice and garnish with toasted pine nuts.