23 February, 2016
This is a popular, healthy lentil dish. Another main ingredient is the nutritious Swiss Chard. This tangy soup can be eaten as a full meal.
makes 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1 pound of brown lentils, washed
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes cut in small cubes
- 1 bunch of Swiss Chard, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of dried mint, crushed
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup of lemon juice
- water to cover
Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. When oil is very hot, add onions and stir until onions begin to turn dark brown and caramelize, about 10 minutes. Add half of the garlic and then add the lentils. Pour in enough water so that it is about 5 inches deeper than the lentil mixture. Stir well to loosen browned bits of onion on the bottom of the pot.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. after 10 minutes, add the potatoes. Simmer, uncovered, until lentils and potatoes are tender, about 10 more minutes. Finish with the rest of the ingredients (except the lemon juice), simmer about 5 minutes. If soup gets too thick, add a little more water. Salt to taste. Lower heat and stir in lemon juice.